'Tis the season for making a yummy moist Christmas cake. You won't be disappointed with this one.
Recipe submitted from one of our loyal customers.
- Combine the raisins, currants, dates, cherries, mixed peel, walnuts and brandy and let stand overnight.
- The next day, dredge fruit mixture in ½ cup all-purpose flour.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 x 3 in pan, line with parchment paper and grease again.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, cloves, allspice and cinnamon in a bowl (sifted dry).
- In a second bowl, cream the butter. Gradually beat in the brown sugar and eggs (creamed mixture).
- In a third bowl, mix together the molasses, apple juice and maple syrup (liquid mixture).
- Add sifted dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with liquid. Make 3 dry and 2 liquid additions, combined lightly after each. Fold in floured fruit from the day before.
- Turn into prepared pan.Bake in preheated oven for 3 – 3½ hours or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and peel off parchment paper. Cool and store.
- 2 cups sultana raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 lb glace cherries
- ½ lb mixed peel
- ¼ lb walnut crumbs
- ½ cup brandy
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup molasses
- ¾ cup apple juice
- ½ cup maple syrup