If you're not a fan of the traditional dense fruit cake, then this one is for you! This cake is more like a coffee cake with all of your favourite fruit added.
Recipe adapted from 500 Cakes by Susannah Blake.
- Add all of the mixed fruit, sugar, tea and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 min, stirring frequently. Remove and allow it to cool for about 20 min.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8” round or 8x8” square cake pan and then line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the self-rising and almond flours and the mixed spice. Add the cooled fruit mixture and the eggs and mix together quickly.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with the spoon. Bake for 30 min.
- Reduce the temperature to 300 degrees F and continue baking for an additional 1 - 1 ¼ hours until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 min and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- 2 ¼ cups Dried Mixed Fruit (such as red/green maraschino cherries, mixed peel, currants, lexia raisins, dried cranberries, prunes, apricots, figs, dates, goji berries, dried blueberries or dried cherries)
- ½ cup Demerara Sugar
- 2/3 cup Black Tea
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 cup Self-Rising Flour
- ½ cup Almond Flour
- ¾ tsp Mixed Spice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten