These donuts are baked, not fried, but still look delicious. And, of course, you can always decorate them for any occasion, not just Valentine’s.
Image and recipe from The First Year Blog.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray, use a paper towel to lightly spread/remove excess spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the milk, egg, vanilla and oil until well blended. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to a large piping bag. Pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling each donut hole about 2/3 full.
- Bake the donuts for 10 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the donuts sit in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the donuts from the donut pan and place them on a wire rack to cool.
Base Icing for the Donuts
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the Merckens wafers with the vegetable shortening. Microwave on low heat, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted.
- Transfer the melted chocolate to a small shallow dish to make it easier to dip the donuts. While hanging onto the edges of the donut, dip each donut into the chocolate and pause for a few seconds while the donut is upside down to allow the excess to fall off. Allow the donuts to cool on a wire rack completely before adding the hand drawn details.
- Combine the icing sugar, meringue powder and water in a mixing bowl and mix on low speed with an electric mixer until the icing has a matte appearance, about 3-5 minutes.
- Divide the royal icing into a few small bowls, depending on how many colours you want. Be sure to leave some of the royal icing white, if you’d like. Add the gel food colouring to each bowl to get your desired colours.
- Decorate the donuts as you wish. To make it easier, transfer the icing to a piping bag or squeeze bottle to add the fine details.
- Store donuts in an airtight container. Makes 6 donuts.
- All-Purpose Flour - 1 cup
- White Sugar - 3 tbsp
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Milk - 6 tbsp
- Egg - 1
- Pure Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
- Canola Oil - 3 tbsp
- Merckens Wafers (whatever colour you choose) - 2/3 cup
- Vegetable Shortening - 1/2 tbsp
Royal Icing -
- Icing Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- Meringue Powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Water - 1 tbsp & 1 tsp
- Gel Food Colouring (pink and purple or whatever colours you choose) -