This cold salad can be enjoyed any time of the year. For a gluten-free salad, make sure you use buckwheat groats instead of barley.
Image and adapted recipe from Grain Power Cookbook by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming
- Combine the quinoa, buckwheat groats/barley and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and simmer for approximately 15 minutes, then cool.
- Toast the walnut pieces in a frying pan until fragrant.
- In a large bowl, add the broccoli, dried cranberries/dried cherries and green onion. Add the cooled quinoa, buckwheat groats/barley and walnuts and combine.
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss the dressing with the salad. Enjoy!
- Quinoa - 1/3 cup
- Buckwheat Groats (gluten-free), or Barley (not gluten-free) - 1/3 cup
- Water - 1 1/3 cups
- Walnut Pieces - 1/2 cup
- Broccoli, chopped - 3 cups
- Dried Cranberries or Dried Cherries - 1/3 cup
- Green Onion, sliced - 1
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
- Balsamic Vinegar - 2 tbsp
- Pure Honey - 1 tbsp
- Garlic Clove, minced - 1
- Salt and Pepper, to taste -