These cookies look and taste wonderful! The added bonus is that you can choose whichever shape you want to suit the theme or holiday.
Image and adapted recipe from Ahead of Thyme.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together for a couple of minutes. Add the vanilla and salt and continue to mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour gradually until your mixture has come together into a dough.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a flat surface and roll out the dough until it is about ⅛ inch thick. Cut out your cookie shapes with a heart cookie cutter. On half of the cookies, cut out a smaller heart shape in the center.
- Place cookies in a single layer on baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely and then sprinkle a layer of icing sugar on top of the cookies with the centers cut out.
- Melt the Merckens wafers on low heat to prevent the chocolate from burning. On the full cookies, spread a thin layer of chocolate and allow to set for 5-10 minutes. Then, spread a thin layer of raspberry jam on top of the chocolate.
- Place the cut out cookies on top of the jam layer. Be careful not to smudge the icing sugar.
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- ½ cup Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ⅓ cup Merckens Wafers, white
- ⅓ cup Raspberry Jam